Pixel Union is looking for a front-end developer to join our team in Victoria or Vancouver, BC, Canada.
Pixel Union's Developers bring our products to life, working closely with the design and product management team to produce best-in-class ecommerce themes. We're looking for someone who has an eye for the little details that can make or break a product.
Success in the role requires a high degree of flexibility and adaptability, a passion for both the practice and the principles of development, a deep knowledge of front-end development technologies, and a desire to work closely with multiple stakeholders on the team to ensure every product lives up to Pixel Union’s reputation for industry leading quality.
All code at Pixel Union is peer-reviewed, and we look for developers who are able to clearly explain their technical choices. We encourage consistent and readable code, with a focus on maintainability.
- Develop front-end code for Pixel Union’s theme products, based on the design requirements and project brief.
- Understands that websites are consumed by a diverse set of people and devices. Accessibility, responsiveness, performance, and share-ability are all base-line.
- Able to empathize with shop owners by hand-crafting web components that can adapt to their content and business needs.
- Comfortable collaborating among many stakeholders with the goal of clearly expressing technical challenges, trade-offs, and opportunities.
- Excited to take on technical ownership of several products, iteratively improving code quality, proposing new features, and generally building a better understanding of what makes a successful shop.
- Interface with external development groups and 3rd party platforms, as needed.
- 3+ years of hands-on experience with web development (product or agency).
- Experience with one or more templating languages such as liquid, handlebars or twig
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Able to accurately estimate tasks, and not afraid to flag issues early
- Keen eye for detail and appreciation for good UI and UX.
- Great attitude, patience and focus.
- Previous hands-on development within the Shopify ecosystem, or Ecommerce in general, is a strong plus.
Pixel Union is a company built on creativity, teamwork and employee well-being. We come to the office (wherever that may be) to work hard, push our limits, and enjoy ourselves around good people.
Some of our perks include:
- Competitive base salary
- Opportunity for growth as the company grows
- Exposure and learning across teams and services
- Health benefits and RRSP matching
- Generous vacation policy
- Flexible work schedule and remote-friendly culture and systems
- Educational sessions
- Company-sponsored fitness allowance