UI/UX Designer (mid-level)
Pixel Union's services agency tackles a diverse mix of projects, from custom ecommerce experiences, to high-converting marketing sites, to product strategy and design for up and coming SaaS tools. We are looking for a junior- to mid-level designer who can join our growing team focused on Shopify and Shopify Plus projects and clientele.
Working closely with Pixel Union’s senior design team, PxU designers are responsible for producing innovative UX and UI design work for client projects. PxU designers must be able to describe their work and the motivations behind it in detail to others, and provide constructive criticism for the work of fellow Designers. This role requires strong communication, creativity, and time management skills.
Success in the role is not just about creating outstanding work individually; it’s about collaborating effectively with others to produce a superior product that achieves specific aesthetic and data-driven goals. In other words, Pixel Union Designers are part of a close team that sees strong communication, exploration, and collaboration as fundamental to its success.
- Produce high-quality design deliverables for client projects that meet or exceed industry standards and best-practices
- Participate in design- or product-related discussions with clients and team
- Participate in client-facing presentation of design: pitches, project reports, critiques
- Have a passion for data-driven design across all aspects of work
- Stay up to date on the latest industry trends and best practices
- Communicate and collaborate with others on the design team
- Balance production design work, professional development and team participation through effective time management
- Be flexible with the assigned work, whether it’s an internal or external product
- 2 years experience producing designs for websites and apps for both desktop and mobile devices.
- Confident in use of Sketch. Illustrator and Photoshop a plus.
- Basic understanding of, and experience with, HTML5/CSS3/JS. We don’t expect you to code, but we expect you to know enough to understand how your designs will be translated to the web.
- Experience producing high-quality wireframes, mock-ups, prototypes, etc.
- Basic understanding of user experience workflows, how to implement them, and why they are used.
- An understanding of design and own decision making process so that design decisions can be explained and justified to teammates.
- Strong communication skills and an appreciation of teamwork, collaboration, and idea-sharing.
- Ability to self-manage based on a defined project timeline
Pixel Union is a company built on creativity, teamwork and employee well-being. We come to the office (wherever that may be) to work hard, push our limits, and enjoy ourselves around good people. Some of our perks include:
- Competitive base salary
- Opportunity for growth as the company grows
- Exposure and learning across teams and services
- Health benefits and RRSP matching
- Generous vacation policy
- Flexible work schedule and remote-friendly culture and systems
- Educational sessions and company-sponsored certifications
- Company-sponsored fitness allowance